Active Ink Software has added support for a hybrid tablet called the Adesso CyberPad within their electronic forms application. The Adesso CyberPad captures pen input via a clipboard device and transfers the ink stored to a PC via a USB connection. Active Ink then interprets the ink captured and redisplays it on an electronic form created using the Active Ink Form Designer.
The process of using a CyberPad are as follows:
- Design the form using Active Ink (Pro Designer ).
- Print the form.
- Attach the form to the Adesso CyberPad.
- Fill out the paper form.
- Transfer the ink from the CyberPad to the PC or Tabet PC.
- Launch Active Ink and open the form.
- Convert the handwriting to text. *
- Save the data.
* Requires a Tablet PC.
While there are certain advantages of the Adesso CyberPad to a Tablet PC (it's cheaper and lighter), it's not a PC and thus does not have the CPU horse power for doing heavy processing. However, if all you want to do is capture ink and transfer the image to a PC, then this device may be all you need.