Rob Bushway at http://www.gottabemobile.com posed the question "Why should any application be ink-enabled?" I can' speak for other software developers, but I can think of 10 reasons why we added ink support to our application.
1. Ink Enablement - Any PC document (Word, Excel, PDF, etc.) can be converted into an Active Ink form that accepts pen input.
2. Handwrite Directly on the Form - Handwriting can be entered directly on the form without having to use the Tablet Input Panel.
3. Expanded Writing Area - The data entry area expands to make it easier to enter long strings of handwritten text.
4. Handwriting Recognition - Handwritten ink is automatically converted into text.
5. Ink Annotation - Annotate on the form by allowing comments to be made.
6. Embed Handwritten Sketches and Charts - Add handwritten sketches and charts to your form to give it a more professional look.
7. Search for Records using Ink - Enter a data value in ink and search for all records that match that criteria.
8. Ink Gestures - Allow special ink gesture commands to be used to simplify data input.
9. Ink Append and Word Wrap - Allow handwritten words to be appended to existing text or wrapped to the next line.
10. Store Handwritten Ink - Store handwritten ink permanently as part of the form so that it can be retrieved at a later time.